Ever wondered what’s Bermuda like? Most, if not all, think that Bermuda is a dangerous place–and we totally know why. But did you know that it is also possible to cruise along the Carribean Sea and explore Bermuda and come back alive?
Here’s an experience shared by a seafarer who cruised the beautiful sea in 2006.
From Los Angeles, Miss Arlet had a 3-day sail to Bermuda Island. There were huge waves that covered up to the 9th floor of the ship. It was scary, but they are okay. At that time, they rescued somebody. A yacht was pushed heavily by the waves. They have successfully saved them and it was a great experience.
What were your worries then?
At first, I was worried about what I kept hearing about that area. But I was wrong. I guess the only thing I worried about was the fact that I can be a victim of holdup when I am alone.
Can you describe your experience in Bermuda Island?
Sure. My experience there was very pleasant. They have this organized system. They also have this policy of having 1 car per household. There are only 2 lanes that vehicles can use.
People, Food and Nature
In Bermuda Island, the natives are Black. I also saw a lot of Filipinos there who worked as Accountants. Although Bermuda doesn’t have the same level of attraction when it comes to job opportunities for Filipinos, OFWs are doing well here.
People here are open-minded. They also have a nudist beach. If you like adventure, this is surely for you. The nature is awesome. It is so beautiful. I remember, at 12 Midnight, the sun is still up. You can enjoy the beautiful beach. The houses I saw were bungalows and each house has 1 yacht. There were plenty of motorcycles in the streets since the buses are very limited.
For food, you can surely find something nice. It can be quite costly. I only ate pasta & pizza and it cost me less than $100. Still, for a pasta and pizza, that’s quite expensive.
What made you decide that you will work on the ship?
- I want to travel around the world while earning money. Compared to land-based jobs, the jobs here have shorter timelines. The maximum is 10 months. I can enjoy and see the world and work at the same time.
- My travel style is: Save 20% and choose cheaper accommodations.
- There’s a big salary working for a ship so I liked it.
What’s your advice to those who want to travel the world like you?
- Make sure to keep their passport and documents with them at all times. Be careful with pickpockets.
- It’s best to bring bottled waters. We do not know what kind of water we can get from different parts of the world, so it can be unsafe for travelers.
- When you are working on a ship, make sure to always have plastic envelopes where you can secure your documents.
- Do not bring too much clothes. For me, although it’s nice to have something classy, luxury bags are not needed.
- Bring warm clothes just in case. Bring a pair of rubber shoes.
As for the photos, Miss Arlet is a type of traveler who enjoys being there. Looking and feeling the beauty of life. Thus, the lack of visuals.
So there you have it. Next time you want to go somewhere you’ve never been, take a dive. Or take small steps. Do some research and get ready for it. But then again, life is not a rehearsal. You can do it! 🙂